Monday, March 26, 2007

Votre Mama est troooop GROSSE....(aka your mama is sooo fat)






This past week has been pretty crazy in good and bad ways. The best thing was that my parents came to visit. I was so happy to see them, and I knew the trip was going to be interesting because the first thing they did upon arriving in france was lose their luggage and then try to pay the french taxi driver in dollars. Given the current exchange rate, you can understand why the taxi driver was more than a little distraught at the thought of getting paid this way. It was also very interesting that he suddenly became very fluent in english. I had a good laugh about that. After that, things went a little smoother. We ate some wonderful food, the best was a michelin starred restaurant that served us candied cherry tomatoes. Sounds gross, but it is actually really good. Plus, apparently french people will now think I am cool cause i got to eat at a restaurant "etoile," which means star, but sometimes i get it confused with "toilette" or toilet.


We spent a lot of time walking around the city and up and down the 8 flights of stairs between my house and my parents' hotel. It was wonderful. Unfortunately, I got sick this weekend and had to be nursed back to health by my mom ( so glad she was here to make me soup). She and my dad even cheered me up by launching into a random string of your mama jokes, which was unexpected and hilarious.


Besides me being sick, my poor parents missed their flight on sunday! The stars were not aligned and all the odds were against us. This is not a feel good story. I accompanied them on the train because my sister and her friends were scheduled to get in around the time that they were supposed to take off. First, I had to use the bathroom at the train station which would have been fine except apparently the bathroom attendant was feeling extra hornery at 5:30 in the morning and insisted on making me wait for her to clean the floors and then demanded 50 cents which (after trying politely to step around her and speak to her in french) i threw at her and screamed C'EST URGENT! I GOT TO GO! cause i don't know how to say that last part in french. Then, the direct train which would have gotten us to the airport on time broke down and we had to switch, after waiting for 15 minutes, to the slow train (to the airport, not to hell, although I can see how you'd get them confused). On the train we realized that all the clocks at the train stops were an hour ahead of our watches. That's when we discovered that France does daylight savings time and no one thought to tell us about it. whoops. So my parents lost that coveted one hour cushion in which they would have made their flight and after my mother nearly came to blows with the customer service people they got booked on a flight that left today. The good thing is that we got to have a nice day in paris as a family! More stories to come about my week with sydney and her friends. Four girls, one bathroom, one studio! hilarity to ensue.

Dad refuses to get in the loft to check his email.

1 comment:

Christopher said...

That picture of your father is great! :D

Sorry you had such a crazy time with them while you weren't feeling well. It's these adventures that make visits like totally memorable though. I hope you are doing well out there, sounds like you are.

Keep in touch!! :)