Saturday, March 3, 2007

The BCN




This week, we had a break from school and my friend maren (who put up with me all through college and is amazingly still friends with me:) came to visit. Besides dealing with the airline losing all of her luggage which she still does not have 8 days later, we've been having a fantastic time. I've been showing her around Paris and then we hopped over to Barcelona so that she could show me around since she studied there for a little while.


Barcelona was absolutely amazing. It was warm and there were palm trees and Gaudi, so I was in love. I was fairly impressed with the hostel we stayed in which was right off of las ramblas the main road. We had to sleep on top of a blanket though, because the springs of our very spacious double bed were stabbing us.


Anyways, we checked out Gaudi's Sagrada Familia and Casa Batllo and they were super cool, especially for an architecture nerd like me. Sagrada Familia is still not finished. They've been working on it for over a century, but I think it's supposed to be ready in about 20 more years or so. I scared the crap out of myself taking the elevator up to the top. It was way high. I made maren promise to walk in front of me, so that she could soften my fall. That's what friends are for after all.


We also went to a very cool bar called "El Bosc de les fades" (or fairy tale bar). It used to be a section of the wax museum, but now it is a place of drinking that is decorated with various fake foliage, nymphs and a fortune teller. I got to see a flamenco demonstration, too. There are no pictures though because their feet were moving way too fast. It was incredible, well the second dancer was incredible, the first one had what maren and I now refer to as "flamenco face" which is a cross between evil and ouch, flamenco really hurts. hard to describe, but basically not pretty. In true maren fashion, copious amounts of sangria were consumed.


On our last day, we wandered around the port for awhile and checked out the aquarium. It was gorgeous!

No comments: