Sunday, February 4, 2007

As Sydney would say, It's not all fun and games in Paris...

This past week and a half has been a mix of good and bad.

The bad:
Last friday we had a career fair, at which we were supposed to get internships. Nanda and I had an ingenious plan (thought up by Nanda of course) where instead of running away from the French career fair like I wanted to do, she just introduced us and impressed the recruiters from the get go. Then we split up to explain our specific internship needs (marketing for me, finance for her), I would stumble through the conversation in half English/half French and force my resume upon them. Excellent plan. However, the recruiters caught on to my scam and I was told very nicely that while I was very impressive in English, I was in fact in France and they speak French here. Oh yeah, I forgot. Anyways, the moral of the story is don't go to a French career fair 3 weeks into your French learning extravaganza. The good news is I can now order my dinner and shop en Francais, so I mean I've got my basic needs taken care of.

Okay, now for the good:
Sara had a birthday last sunday and we went to Notre Dame were I was approached by a creepy, middle aged French guy who wanted to teach me French conversation to which I said ha ha, NO and then I ran away. But we got some great pictures of Notre Dame! It's absolutely gorgeous in and out. My favorite sculpture is on the outside. It's of St. Denis. He told all the French pagans about Jesus and then they cut off his head. But, he didn't die. He just picked his head up and walked 3 miles to Montmartre (hill of martyrs, where I live). Then, all the Frenchies became catholic. amen.













The French trackers, plus this kid we don't like, Antonia and Taekun took on the Parliament of the European Union in Brussels on Tuesday. The EU parliament was very cool. We got a personal guided tour and got to see where they make all the big decisions, like how the euro is going to continue to beat the dollar into a pulp. Poor Brussels, it was all grey and gross. Not very impressive, except for the beer, waffles, chocolate and the mannekin pis. Rick used to live in Belgium, so he showed us to the grand place and the mannekin pis. Then, just like we knew he would, Rick took us to all the good bars. The first one used to be a very cool marionette bar back in Rick's day, but has recently been turned into a tiki bar. Rick was very sad and needed to drown his sorrows at the delirium cafe. I helped him out by ordering cherry beer. IT WAS AWESOME. I could drink that stuff all day...but of course i did not because I am a responsible student and because i had to get a famous gauffre (belgian waffle) in me before our train left. After a day of diplomats, waffles and beer, I was quite content.













Yesterday, was very fun. Josh, Kristen and I went to the Louvre and I saw some really great stuff. I was not that impressed by the mona lisa, but there were tons of beautiful paintings to fall in love with. I also am now totally enamored with a sculpture of Psyche and Cupid where Cupid is giving Psyche the kiss of love to bring her back to life after she has an unfortunate incident with some poisoned perfume. It's absolutely amazing. It looks like at any moment, the sculpture will come to life and start moving. Below, Josh and I pretend to be pyramids and you see part of the Louvre through IM Pei's Pyramid.
Then, we had a great dinner and went to a bar by my house to listen to live jazz and drink some wine. It was truly a great day.

No comments: