Monday, January 8, 2007

I missed the fat chicks in hot pants memo…


This past weekend I traveled to London to see my friend Simon. First I would like to point out that when I arrived in Paris, the customs people barely looked at me and didn’t even stamp my passport. When I arrived in London, however, I got the third degree. It didn’t occur to me to ask Simon for his address, since he was picking me up and that resulted in me getting a lecture from the British customs officer about how they won’t let just anyone into the country and what if I just left the airport and wandered the streets? Luckily, I was able to just give them his phone number and they finally let me through. It was very rainy, so Simon and his friend Adrian took me out to a couple of pubs before we met up with their friend James at a club/lounge. We had a couple of pitchers of absolute shambles (sparkling wine, vodka and red bull), before James leaned over to me and said, “Emily, when you came into this bar, did you know that all the girls were going to be so FAT?” Normally, I might (might) try to be polite, but after a few drinks, we all know that I have no inner monologue, so I said, “ummm, yeah they are quite big.” I’m not kidding these girls are mammoth and decked out in very tiny school girl skirts or hot pants. I felt like a grandma in my knee length skirt and sweater. I would have had to lose at least ¾ of my skirt, if I really wanted to get the look, never mind the one hundred pound weight gain and the mysterious lack of a bra. But that was Milton Keynes, not London. We went to another club after that that had all kinds of different dancing rooms. It was very cool and luckily I was inebriated enough that I could dance to techno and not feel like an idiot. Very fun!
The next day Simon and James woke up at the crack of noon to take me into London and show me the sights. It was pouring rain, but that didn’t stop us from going all over and seeing Buckingham Palace (aka Buck House as James likes to call it), the London eye, Big Ben and Parliament and the Tower of London. It was amazing to see all the sights in person, even if my pants were completely soaked from the rain and sticking to my legs. Since the boys had satisfied my need to see the Tower of London, we, of course, had to stop at a pub (after I refused to go to the “gentlemen’s venue”) and watch the football match of James’ team (Arsenal) vs. Simon’s team (Liverpool). After that, we went to a bunch of different bars in So Ho and I got talked into eating a lamb and mint pasty which was actually, very good. To end the night, we went to a not so good comedy club where I got made un of for being an American, although, that’s my own fault for raising my hand and admitting that I was American. We finally arrived home, after I herded the drunk boys on to the train. And now I’m safely back in Paris. More adventures to come. I start school on Wednesday. Woo hoo!


No comments: