Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The trouble with doors is....

Today I started work. I didn't have to go in until 2, which was nice, but I stayed until 7, booo. This is the breakdown of how I spent my time.
2:00 - Can't get in the door because i don't have a badge and found out that I don't have a badge yet, anyways, so my boss comes down to get me.

2:00-2:30 -First my boss takes me up to his office and tells me to put down my purse. Then he walks away and I hear down the hall, I would like to introduce emily....um, emily, where are you? Ahhh, i was supposed to follow him. got it. So, I get introduced to everyone in the office. EVERYONE. It's a french thing, very nice. I was on display like the letters in wheel of fortune and my boss made a lovely vanna. This is emily, no not spelled the french way, with an i-grec. She's american. You can practice your english with her and she can practice her french with you. She's going to make some pivot tables and help create some key performance indicators. Voila.

2:30-4:30 - I learn about the company, the division and what I will be doing. It was an insane amount of information that left me wondering how i possibly passed operations. Although I did see my good friend the pareto principle in there. who knew that would be used in the real world.

4:30-4:40 - tried to figure out how to turn on my computer. Yes, i pressed the on button. One of the cables was loose.

4:40-4:50 - try to open the files on the network that my boss wants me to look at. No luck. So, my boss copies the files onto a thumb drive for me.

4:50-5:05 - try to open the files on the thumb drive. No luck. Boss tries. no luck.

5:05-5:06- Make first attempt to open bathroom door. Door will not open. Retreat to desk to avoid people in the cubicle area staring.

5:06-5:30- call the help desk. get special code to open the files. files actually open. like in america.

5:30-5:31- Make second attempt to open bathroom door. Door still will not open. Hear person inside, decide facilities are in use. abort mission.

5:31-6:30- Stare at excel files and try to come up with as many questions as possible to ask my boss tomorrow, since he will be gone after that for three days. In that time, i am supposed to make friends and study data. Teaching myself is fun. weeee!

6:30-6:45 - get my own username and email account, which won't open. Boss comes. We call help desk. Success.

6:45-6:48 - Make third attempt to open bathroom door. You know that far side cartoon where the door says "school for the gifted" and pull and there's some nerd pushing as hard as he can on the door? Apparently I should have been pushing. Success and bladder relief.

6:49 - boss says i can leave. I try to leave. door to the outside will not work. check purse for crazy pills. none to be had. Go back upstairs to find boss. Who tells me that i have to have my badge to get out.

6:53 - finally leave, head hurts, need food!

That was my half day. Who know what tomorrow's full day of work holds!

1 comment:

Kate said...

In Mexico, there are labels on all the doors where you push the one way and pull the other, BUT in reality they all swing both ways, it's amazing! Well, all but two swing both ways. There are two doors in the whole country that work only the one direction and when you inevitably encounter them you are going to run right smack into them thinking they will bend to your will. Yeah, it's awesome.